Friday, 1 December 2000

Chapter seventy-four

Monurbis
Within two hours of the passing of Redcloak’s army, Euphorbia had organised a force of about two hundred of the older Orbiverdi with the express intention of sending them to Ortia. It was clear that Euphorbia intended to lead them personally. This possibility had not occurred to Bellis initially. He was cursing himself that he hadn’t thought of it previously. He had no intention of letting that happen. He had no clear idea what was intended, but he knew that it would inevitably be something drastic: the Orbiverdi never did anything by halves. 
He hobbled down into the courtyard in front of the main gate, where the pale knights had ventured forth just an hour before. The Orbiverdi party were ready to leave. They made an arresting sight – all clad in green and resting on sticks and staffs. Euphorbia was the youngest one there by many years. They all bowEd low when they saw him, but none of them spoke to him. They were in a grave mood.
He made straight for his deputy.  They stood opposite each other. As always they were exceptionally polite, but this was the tensest politeness that either of them had ever experienced.
 ‘I can’t let you go, my lady – whatever it is that you intend to do’ said Bellis, breathless from the descent into the courtyard.
‘How can you impede the will of my people, proconsul?’ replied Euphorbia, almost coldly, ‘we plan to help the Empire immeasurably’
‘I am sure. But will you return?’
Euphorbia smiled a brittle smile.
‘No’ she said, quite simply.
‘Then I definitely can’t let you go’
‘As I said, it is the will of my people’
‘My concerns have nothing to do with the will of your people – this is an Imperial question – and it applies specifically to you’
‘How can that be?’
‘Are you renouncing your imperial citizenship? If not, then you have a duty of care within the empire’
‘What does that mean?’
‘I have no heir…’
Euphorbia puzzled over this apparent non sequitur.
‘You have no what, my lord?’
‘Heir – I have no-one to whom I can pass on the proconsulship’
‘Under the Emperor’s new laws that will not apply anyway – you know that’
‘What law? I have seen no law yet…’
Euphorbia knew that her little group was waiting for her; they were all impatient to leave.
‘Again, I must ask you, what point, legal or otherwise, are you making?’
Bellis bent over to take her hand.
‘I am designating you my heir’
‘What are you talking about?’
Bellis spoke in a loud voice, making sure everyone around could hear him
‘Heir presumptive, of course, pending the Emperor’s approval’
Claps and cheers erupted around them.  Whatever Euphorbia was going to say was drowned out by the celebrations.
Euphorbia’s face turned grey. She took two paces towards her leader so that she was very close to him.
‘So – you’re willing to allow my companions to sacrifice their lives, but not me?’
‘Quite right’ said Bellis, ‘that’s their job – just like the knights and the archers and my foot soldiers – it’s not yours
‘But what is my job?’ asked Euphorbia, forlornly, ‘if not to lead my people’
‘To do your imperial duty’ he said, ‘just like the rest of us’  

No comments:

Post a Comment