Thursday, 3 May 2001

Chapter sixty-eight

The Mage Agora
 
‘What’s going on?’ asked George, as soon as Queen Sophia and her treacherous consort had left.
‘Bloody elves’ John muttered, ‘they’ve always thought that they rule the place’
‘Not that…’
John made a sour face.
‘Huw? Oh – he’s a fool, a stupid fool’
George considered this.
‘Possibly, but we don’t know the full story…’
‘He’s betrayed us; there’s no excuse for that’
George frowned.
‘What did he mean by “the voice”?’
John shook his head.
‘I have no idea…’ he said
‘Well, we need to find out’ said George,  ‘There was something going on. I knew that, I’m afraid; I just didn’t pursue it far enough’
John pushed his extreme irritation as deep inside himself as it would go.
‘Too late for regrets now – we’ll just have to deal with it’   
George stopped talking for a second. John looked over at the mages. They seemed to be having a far more fractious conversation.
‘Oh well’ whispered John, ‘at least they seem to have more problems than even we have…’
George smiled.
‘Also – we need to find out what our new Queen is up to…’ he said
 ‘Too many questions…’ muttered John.
The mages turned to address them again, and then the talk lumbered discontentedly on.  John was finding it hard to summon up much enthusiasm, now that he knew that the mages didn’t really want to help and that they were all under acting under duress. They spent a lot of time huddled together in their separate groups, whispering.
John knew that the mages would talk for as long as it took to buy them time. They had no intention of helping. It was clear that at the moment the agora broke up they would run for Oikonde and from there flee to Helios. The only reason that they didn’t go immediately was the threat of their new mistress. This was a waste of everyone’s time. As much as the mages, John was looking for a way out.
Hours on, a mail paper phutted into existence and dropped into his lap. He picked it up eagerly and read it.
 
Dear President Ismay,
 
I have had an indirect message from Rem, via Proconsul Marthian. It seems that I am needed in Ortia as soon as is possible. I have made the decision to take Dr Fielding and Major Viola there by the most direct route that I could think of. This meant using the Council’s beacon, for which I apologise.
 
I appreciate that you may well have a myriad of problems yourself, but I am convinced that a threat to Ortia is a threat to us all. I will keep you informed, but I regret that you may have to come to the city at some point in the near future.
 
Despite protocol I will set up a beacon in Ortia with my trace signature. I will use the usual procedure and not activate my trace until I know that you are definitely needed.
 
Your servant,
 
Laurence Hardacre
 
There was nothing else that John could do now but wait for more information. The mages droned on and on and time dragged; he was certain they were making no progress. George did most of the talking – he had extraordinary reserves of patience and his Elven was exemplary. However, every step forward he took was accompanied by at least three steps beack – they would have to check the facts, consult an expert, run a feasibility study. It all added up to no progress at all.
A few hours later, when even George began to tire, the second, and completely unexpected, mail paper dropped from the sky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment