Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Chapter forty-nine

The Southern Plains
 
The old grey god had not walked very far before he began to worry. Something was wrong with the way he moved. He stopped and crouched in the long grass. It wasn’t his walking that was the problem – there was something strange in the air.
He sniffed; there was a mild smell of rotting apple: the unmistakable scent of the something being forced through time and space. Or had he just imagined it? He waited and the smell, if it had been there at all, dissipated.  He lingered in the patch of dry grass, then he got up and walked a few deliberate steps. A breeze circled round him. He stopped again. The breeze stopped.
He couldn’t be certain but fear filled him up completely. This felt like a trap. Was the archwitch lying when he said that he could not tell where he was? Or if he could not, perhaps he could track him to somewhere where he could find him. The swirl of gentle wind reminded him so clearly of the twisters that brought Kratos’s voice to him. What if he located him in Ortia, warning The Lady. Then all of his plans would be in peril. If there was any chance that that was true then he could not go. He would have to send someone in his stead.
 
***
Rem had von Eisen guarded gently and watched him for several days before he approached him. It had taken a fraction of the time for the plains dweller to work out that something was dreadfully wrong. The Baron was living in a fantasy world of some kind, one inhabited by guilt and strange fears. And in the middle of this cacophony was a persona, a servant creature constructed from his mind. He knew exactly what had caused that but he mused for a long time on what could be done about it.
On the fifth day he finally approached the patient in his little tent.  He sat down on the rug on the floor.
‘You are ill…’ he said, with no other introduction.
Von Eisen stared at him vaguely. He smiled indulgently.
‘How so?’
‘You have been tainted by powerful necromancy that thinks that it is godly’
‘Godly?’
‘Yes – but in fact it is only dangerous’
The Baron frowned and stared at Rem. There was no hostility in his face.
‘Strange creature; are you one of my liege… umm… men?’
Rem thought about this for a second. He wasn’t entirely sure what this meant but he didn’t really care.
‘Yes’ he said solemnly, with a long emphatic nod of the head, ‘your liegeman and your physician’
He knew that he hadn’t quite pronounced this last word correctly, but he was still proud of himself for knowing what it meant.
‘My doctor?’ muttered Von Eisen, ‘you are a strange shape for a doctor’
Rem considered this.
‘What has shape got to do with it?’
The Baron stared at him intently.
‘You are not of human shape…’
Rem nodded
‘I have always been judged by my results, not by my shape, your majesty’
Von Eisen’s face lit up and he gave a little nod of acknowledgement. Rem had hoped once again that that was the right word and it clearly had been. That was probably all the experimental Ethian words he’d try for a while.
‘Why do I need a doctor anyway…?’ he asked, but not to Rem. He seemed to be speaking into the empty air.
Rem glared at him.
‘Who are you talking to?’
‘My friend and advisor, Lord Balliwick’
Von Eisen stood up as if to introduce them. Rem remained sitting but he stared intently into the empty space where the phantasm was meant to be standing. His flesh crawled, as if a thousand tiny spiders were running over it. There was something there – it smelled of death, or of the shadow of death.
‘What has happened to you? Rem asked
Von Eisen looked around with empty eyes. His face crumpled. For a moment Rem sensed nothing around them. The shadow had gone. 
‘I have been disappointed in my endeavours…’
Rem was about to respond to this when the shadow returned. He could see it more clearly now, like a smudge on the edge of his vision.
Rem frowned and stuck his hand inside his extra-dimensional bag. After some probing around he found what he was looking for – a small metal jug, like a sugar shaker. He fished it out, turned it upside down and took a tight-fitting bag off from its top. He strode over to the smudge and upended the shaker. The white dust spread over the shadow and slowly it assumed a real form. Von Eisen was startled.
‘What are you doing?’ he demanded.
Rem ignored him. In front of him now was a strange white shape, vaguely humanoid and with the hint of stubby wings. Rem shivered.
‘What is that?’ he asked, knowing no-one could answer.
An old man in grey rags pulled back the door of the tent.
‘It’s a taint’ he said, ‘can’t you recognise it?’
Rem dropped his shaker. The grey man walked over and picked it up. He handed it back to Rem. Specks of dust fell on to the old man’s hand, fizzled and then disappeared.
‘My god…’ Rem said, combining piety and blasphemy in a single phrase.
‘My priest…’ said the old man, ‘we meet, finally’
Rem could think of nothing else to say, but the Grey Wanderer seemed unconcerned by this. He turned and gestured at von Eisen. 
‘I smell Kratos’ he whispered, ‘this man has been cursed by our Enemy…’
‘Which enemy?’ asked Rem, recovering his courage and his voice.
‘The greatest one. The one that makes all the others seem puny. One of the archwitches…’
Rem still had no idea who this was but it didn’t matter. If his god had an enemy it was his enemy.
The old man turned to where the taint stood, a strange white shape, like a half-completed or half-ruined pale statue – what it was a statue of, however, was less clear. The old man whispered something in a language older than the world and the shadowy thing dissolved from the inside. White dust showered everywhere, falling like weird snow inside the tent. Von Eisen fell too, into a deep sleep, but he was free.  
‘Thank you’ whispered Rem
The old god shrugged.
‘Who do you think invented necromancy?’ he said, ‘I’m only correcting the errors I made long ago’
 Rem shook his head but could think of nothing to add. He was glad, however, that his patient was now rid of his worst malady. He sensed, however, there was still much more work to be done to cure him completely.
‘Come out into the sun’ said his god, ‘I do not like it in here’
They walked out into the bright southern winter.
 
***
 
The Grey Wanderer sat in the sand and his mind drifted. The sun was scorching hot and the wind blew grit and dry grass around him, but he didn’t notice. The minutes passed, but they were unheeded too.
Rem had sat patiently waiting beside him. Eventually reverence turned to boredom and he spoke.
‘Why have you come here, master?’
The grey being puzzled over this.
‘I had a plan but now I fear that it will fail’
‘What plan?’
‘I cannot tell even you…’
 ‘Why not?’
‘I cannot let the plan be revealed to our Enemies. It must be entirely secret’
‘But if it is your plan it is sure to succeed. You are the greatest of the gods’
The Wanderer shook his head.
‘Once, yes, but not now. He is too powerful and I am worn out’
He looked down at his dirty cloak.
‘I am impure – sullied, by my own actions. Sometimes I feel that it is too much and I just want to lie down and sleep…’
Despite the reverence that he felt for his god, Rem would not let anyone get away with such a statement.
‘No-one is pure’ he spat, ‘why would you want to be?’
‘Because I have caused great hurt and mischief to all the free peoples of the world… And I would be purified of that…’
Rem turned to his god, anger confusing his words.
‘You think that you are somehow different from everyone else and that you can judge yourself – how can that be? We all hurt each other and we all seek forgiveness – man, woman, elf, god… You are doing great good now, I know it…’
The Wanderer shook his head.
‘You don’t understand...’
Rem laughed without humour.
‘Yes, I do – you think that you have done great wrong to the world and now you want to sacrifice yourself for it; but when great wrong is done only great good can put it right, not lying down somewhere and sleeping forever’
The god’s voice was very small.
‘I am so tired – life is very long. Just sometimes I wonder if it might be better to give up’
Rem stared at him for a long time and then his expression changed. His eyes no longer flashed with anger; that had been replaced with understanding.
‘A part of you wants to become a man; that’s it, isn’t it? To become a mortal. You don’t want to sleep – you want to die. You want to grow old and die, just like a mortal man. And then you will be at peace…’
The Wanderer didn’t move. Rem thought that he was more like a fading creature than any dying sentient thing he had seen before. One could see it in his eyes – his soul was in full retreat. Rem swallowed hard.
‘We cannot allow it’ he commanded, ‘we will not allow it’
The Wanderer’s eyes flashed for just a second – a mixture, perhaps, of anger and amusement, but then the flash was gone.
‘”We”?’ he asked, ‘who are they?’
Rem was shocked.
‘The citizens of Skiophos – who else would we be?’
The Wanderer shook his head. His dry smile was almost a sneer.
‘And you speak for them, do you?’
Rem looked surprised.
‘I do, of course, as anyone can…’
The old god’s unkind smile faded.
‘Yes, I suppose that they can…’
Rem nodded his agreement. His anger had gone completely.
‘I can help you in any way that I can, my god; let me help you with your plan’
The god shook his head.
‘I cannot tell you the plan, it is too dangerous to reveal; but you can help me. You must go and try to save the Lady’
Rem’s face turned sour.
‘Elven goddess. I have no love for her.’
‘I know. But I do. I ask you to do it for me’
Rem tilted his head to one side. He didn’t hesitate.
‘Then I will do it. You gave hope to my people when we were lost. You showed us the way. I cannot refuse your request’
‘Good’ said the old man, ‘I need you to go to Ortia immediately.’
‘But…’ murmured Rem, ‘you overestimate my abilities. I cannot save her from a wild witch lord’
‘No, but the ones who love you perhaps can…’
Rem’s face creased with puzzlement.
‘What? What ones who love me?’
The Grey Wanderer frowned.
‘I am not certain – I can no longer see as clearly in this form. But I can see humanoids – two female and one male, who were with you in the ruined city, they would listen to you.’
‘Kath…’ whispered Rem
‘Who is she?’ asked the old man
Rem’s reply seemed to be forced out, as if he was struggling to form the meaning of the words and then reluctant to let them out into the open air.
‘A human… but I think of her like a young one of my tribe… I am attached to her’
It was the Grey Wanderer’s turn to look perplexed. He stared at Rem for a minute or so.
‘Your people do not reproduce, is that right?’
Rem nodded.
‘We create, we do not procreate’
‘Then I do not fully understand the attachment’
‘It is nothing…’ muttered Rem, ‘just my foolishness’
‘Is she akin to an acolyte, a student?’
‘No…’ Rem’s voice faded, ‘…there was a sort of contract…’
‘You feel a sense of duty towards her?’
Rem struggled with his memories. He hardened his words.
‘No – she is far away; nothing to do with me any more…’
He wrestled with his thoughts for a moment and then abruptly stopped himself.
‘I should not lie to you, of all people. Yes, I do…still’
Greatly to Rem’s surprise his god nodded in empathy.
 ‘I too know one like that – one much younger than me who I helped and who I can no longer help. I worry about her a lot… But it is too risky for me to ever see her again. She is the only other one who knows my plan fully…’
‘Your daughter?’ Rem asked, surmising, and then realised how foolish this sounded.
‘Gods do not have daughters’ laughed the old man hoarsely, ‘she is my… apprentice… if anything… She is a naga’
Rem had no idea what that meant.  
‘Do gods have apprentices, then?’ asked Rem, softly
‘No, they don’t, of course they don’t’ murmured the Grey Wanderer, ‘I spoke figuratively…  I suppose…’
Their conversation ran down, and neither of them were inclined to wind it back up again. They were both lost in their own thoughts. Eventually Rem forced himself to stand.
‘I will go to the Elf City’ he said, ‘and do what I can’
He nodded once at his god. Then he went back to the tent and picked up his magic bag. He ordered his guards to look after his sleeping patient. By the time he came out again to begin his journey the old man was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment