Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Chapter ten a

Huw Hargest’s, house Eth City
 
Huw had put the Fakenham cage in his bedroom, next to his bed, but he wasn’t entirely sure what he would do with it. It was a seven foot tall box, made of a rather shiny expensive metal alloy and it was designed to keep out all projected magic. Two people could stand up in it, if they were friendly enough, but there was no way that anyone could sleep in it.
Angharad had let him have her spare cage, but reluctantly. He had to think up some cock and bull story about experimenting with an esoteric branch of magic, but he wasn’t convinced that she believed him. Maybe that didn’t matter – he doubted whether she cared enough about what he was doing to tell anyone.
On the third night after he had brought the cage home, just after midnight, Kratos came to visit him again – or at least a projection of the Archwitch – and as soon as he heard the dreadful voice he jumped into the cage, half awake and entirely terrified. The voice went away immediately. He stood there, sweating in the November chill, wondering when it would be safe to go back to bed.  He waited, listening for the town clock ringing out the quarter hours. At three o’clock he pushed his head out of the cage and there was nothing. He crawled back to bed and slept ‘until noon.
 
***
He had heard about her powers before – the Witch of Old Quay. She could read your thoughts and feelings and tell your fortune. He knew nothing more about her, but it was with an encounter with her in the back of his mind that he wandered down to the crumbling docks area. These were the abandoned warehouses and piers of the old river port, which had been replaced by the shiny new buildings of New Lock to the west.
There was a middle aged woman sitting on a low wall as he strode past a derelict packing plant. She had long, mad, brown hair, and was very round. She smiled at him.
‘You were looking for me?’ she asked
He stared at her. She seemed harmless but crazy.
‘Possibly…’
‘Got yourself into a bit of a pickle, haven’t you, you foolish dab’
His mouth was dry. How could he tell a stranger his problems if he couldn’t tell his closest colleagues?
‘Possibly…’ he repeated
‘You’re Huw Hargest, aren’t you, a servant of Eth’
He shook his head.
‘That’s not so; I am a witch, I serve my coven’ he said
‘And I know which coven you belong to, too – a coven full of Ethian witches, following Ethian ways.
‘That’s a lie – I’m Rhylic born and bred’
‘Yeah – posh Rhylic; in the High Lord’s pay, the lot of you’
Huw felt a rush of righteous irritation. This was rude and unfair. He turned to walk away.
‘I don’t need to listen to this; I think I will leave now’
But there was something in her voice that made him turn round.
‘Not without getting what you want, you won’t’ she chuckled
‘I can’t imagine that there is anything you can give me that I might need, witch’
She stared and him and muttered under her breath. He knew that she was casting a spell but  he had no idea what it was.
‘You don’t want that voice in your head getting rid of then?’
His body froze and his heart skipped a single beat. How could she know? He was determined, however, to stay calm.
‘How do you think you can help me, then – old witch?’
‘Well, first, by giving you some advice about how to address me. My name is Cerys, like your coven’s founder. I am her great granddaughter…’
Her voice, which had started out hard and confident, damped to a whisper
‘…or so my mother insisted…’
Huw almost laughed at this preposterous claim, but he still wasn’t sure whether this woman might still be useful
‘Cerys…’ he repeated, calmly, ‘how can you help me?’
She stared at him.
‘I can read your fortune…’
Huw winced involuntarily at the banality of the offer. He was surprised to see that she reacted in turn: her face fell.  For moment she looked vulnerable. Her next words were hurried.
‘But only for my interest and pleasure… After that I have some information for you’
Huw thought for a second.
‘No – go ahead, read my fortune, if you’d like’ he said, wondering why he was behaving as if it mattered how she felt. Of course it didn’t matter –she was just some itinerant hedge witch.
He sat on the wall next to her.
She pulled her cards out of her trouser pocket.  They were dog-eared and filthy. This wasn’t a very impressive start.
‘I need to do this first’ she explained
She lay five cards on the table, Huw knew the tarot pack well, but he had never seen these cards before: the first was a red demon, with a giant red tongue; the second a tall blonde haired woman surrounded by an unbelievably green forest; her hands were surrounded by a nimbus of power; the third was a queen with a crown standing above a crowd of adoring peasants; the fourth a female elf in a battered jacket; the fifth a very thin red haired woman, dressed as a priestess in a grey robe.  They were strange cards.
His eyes wandered back to the second card. The woman in it was very well rendered. If you’d known her you’d be able to recognise her easily.
‘That’s Celia’ he blurted out
‘You know this woman?’
‘I do – she is our combat witch’
‘Is she now…’ murmured Cerys
‘What’s she doing illustrated on a tarot card?’
She shrugged.
‘They are always the first five cards out of my deck. I have to discard them before I can do a reading. They represent something important but I’m afraid that I don’t know what’’
‘But those aren’t standard cards…’
‘They were once – they were the archfiend, the mage, the Empress, the Hierophant, and the High Priestess. But they’ve all changed, for the last few months’
I must tell the coven about this he thought, but then stopped himself. He could never tell them about this meeting, ever, he knew.
She interrupted his thoughts.
‘How many do you want?’
‘What?’
‘How many bloody cards?’
He twisted his hands so he showed her his palms.
‘What’s the choice?’
She waved the pack in his face.
‘This is no game – any number … except nought’
‘Three’ he said, without thinking
With well-practiced hands she dealt out three of the magic cards, face up.
‘The fool, the hanging man, the lovers’ she intoned as the cards dropped on to the wall.  These were the normal cards of the pack: a young man dressed in a traditional fool’s costume, holding a stick over his shoulder with a bag at its end, a man, dangling upside down, one of his feet tied to a bough of a tree; and two figures entwined, male and female.   
‘So, you’re a canny witch’ said Cerys, ‘how would you read those cards?’           
Huw shrugged
‘I am to go on a journey, which will involve an important choice and that it will lead to a new alliance or friendship? Is that it?’
She looked at him closely
‘You have the gist’
 She seemed in no hurry to say any more.
‘Is that it, then?’
She caught his gaze and held it.
‘Anything more you’ll have to find out for yourself, in any case you didn’t seem very bothered’
That was true. He made straight for what he really wanted.
‘You have some information for me…’
‘I do. I know someone who may be able to help you’
‘How do you know?’
‘What?’
‘how do you know about the help I might need?’
She laughed
‘I have my sources’
‘Which are?’
She stopped laughing and assumed a very serious expression.
‘Dark forces from before this time and beyond this place’ she whispered
‘Of course, they would talk to you – and I suppose that you can call spirits forth from the vasty deep?’
She shook her head
‘Don’t be a fool. Do you want my information or not?’
He nodded despite himself. Part of him wanted to laugh in her face, but another part was listening intently/
‘Travel to Kinspit and find the mage Euclid the Sophist. He’s based at the Advanced Mage Studies school. He knows everyone in the city; perhaps he can find someone who will stop the Voice…’
 ‘What voice?’ he asked feebly. She blinked.
‘That I cannot say…’
‘Is that it?’ he asked, thinking now that perhaps she was just guessing about everything.
She pursed her lips.
‘Take it or leave it, boyo’
His impulse was to walk away without saying another word. But some other feeling made him fish around inside his pocket   He offered her a gold barbar.
‘I don’t want your filthy Ethian money’ she said
He searched around for another coin and threw both coins on the floor. He could see her scrabbling for the money as he walked away. Soon he had turned the corner and she was out of sight.
 
A minute later the coyote trotted out from behind the wall. He looked up at Cerys. She fished around in her bag and handed him the ribeye steak that he’d been promised. He barked once, grabbed the steak and then was away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment