Thursday, 10 April 2014

Chapter two

The High Lord’s Residency, Eth City
 
The two women sat either side of a mahogany table in the middle of the oak timbered drawing room. They were both wearing the standard semi-elegant dresses of the sort of aristocratic ladies who were involved in charitable work. There were no pearls, but they might well wear them for dinner later.  Lady Anne looked a little dowdier than Councillor Jenkins, but she liked to keep a lower profile. The High Lord’s sister had to be particularly cautious.
‘An apprentice’ she laughed, ‘it makes you sound like a plumber...’
Elizabeth smarted slightly. Her pride was easily hurt.
‘”intern” may be a better term’
Anne’s eyes widened. The laughter died on her lips.
‘Whatever seems appropriate to you, Lizzie. I meant no offence’
Elizabeth picked up her tea cup and took a sip. She waited a moment before putting it back down on her saucer.  Lady Anne smiled at her.
‘So who is this person?’
Elizabeth hesitated; John had insisted on a false name and history, even to Lady Anne. Actually, as Elizabeth was all too aware, especially to Lady Anne.  He had forbidden her from revealing her true identity.
‘Molly Smith – she’s the daughter of an Ethian merchant who sells woollen goods in Amansk’
‘She doesn’t sound very promising’ murmured Anne, ‘but then witches seem to come in all shapes and sizes... and you seem to make it work’
‘She’s from a good family – I can assure you of that’
‘I’m sure she is’ Anne was smiling her most beguiling smile
Elizabeth was irritated by the shape of this conversation; it wasn’t what she meant to talk about at all.  She was determined to change the subject.
 ‘Have you any recent news about the activities of the CRS?’ she asked, rather too bluntly
Anne’s tilted her head fractionally. Her interest was clearly piqued.
‘That’s a curious  question – isn’t that usually the Hybitor’s area? We tend to stay clear of witchy things...’
Elizabeth swallowed, for once uncertain of how much it would be prudent to say.
‘We’ve had...’ she paused, ‘...some assaults on our bases...’
‘Have you? That sounds most upsetting’
Elizabeth tiptoed around the truth.
‘Some casualties....  some defences breached; there is some concern within the council that the CRS are gearing up for something big’
Anne shook her head.
‘That is all a bit vague, Lizzie. Anyway – what would you like us to do, exactly?’
Elizabeth stumbled a little over her words. She knew that any help given by the Ethian hierarchy would need to be repaid.   
‘Could you put some people on it? Just to see what’s happening in Eth’
Anne nodded.
‘Yes, of course... I will see that it’s done’
‘And...’ Elizabeth was speaking carefully and slowly, ‘...there’s another group...’
‘More evil witches?’ asked Anne, her voice half concern and half amusement.
‘We don’t know. It’s a group calling themselves the Radical Numerologists’
‘Not exactly evil’ murmured Anne.
‘I’ve heard of them’ she continued, ‘but I have no idea what they are up to. They remain an enigma’
Elizabeth nodded.
‘And to us too...’ she admitted
‘We’ll see what we can find out...’ said Anne, ‘...and with that in mind...’
Anne gestured to the maid who was waiting silently at the double entrance doors. She nodded, pushed them open and left the room. This was evidently a pre-arranged signal.
‘...I think I have chosen a particularly good time to appoint a new Hybitor liaison officer. It looks like there will be a lot of work to do’
Elizabeth glanced over at the door.
‘Really? Did you let Martin go?’
‘Yes – I’ve sent him back to his regiment. He wasn’t really very happy in his role’
Elizabeth was relieved; he had been almost completely incompetent – just like all of the previous ones. Why was it so hard to find someone who could work well with her?
‘So, who have you got for me this time?’ she asked
‘It’s a surprise’ whispered Anne, her eyes bright with amusement.
The maid came back through the door with Lady Anne’s surprise. She was a very familiar matronly middle-aged woman. It was Elizabeth’s younger sister.
‘Vicky – what on earth are you doing here?’
Victoria smiled graciously, curtseying in her plain domestics’ uniform.
‘I’m serving my country’ she said, showing no sign of shock at their reunion, ‘as best I can’
Anne beckoned her to bring up a chair. She was still enjoying her theatrical coup.  
‘This is Captain Victoria Jenkins, newly assigned to my household staff – she’s your new liaison officer. I think that you may have met...’
Elizabeth got up and the two sisters embraced warily. They hadn’t seen each other for more than five years; other communications had been scanty. Elizabeth broke free first. She turned to look for some hint of an expression in Lady Anne’s face. There wasn’t very much to go on.
‘So – you’ve reinstated her?’
‘That supposes that she was ever off our books, of course. Once a spy for the High Lord... you know....’
Anne touched Victoria on the shoulder. She laughed softly.
‘I’m so sorry, Vicky – it’s rude to refer to someone in the third person when they’re standing next to you’
‘I wasn’t offended, ma’am’ responded Victoria briskly. The conversation lapsed into brief silence.
Elizabeth wondered for a second about the reasons behind Victoria’s reinstatement. She wasn’t entirely sure about her sister’s career but she was certain that it had had its hitches; including something that had looked, at the time, a lot like a cashiering. She was also well aware that her last job had been as governess to her apprentice.  Something was fishy about this, but she would have to angle for the truth most carefully. First some pleasantries were required.
‘What a marvellous choice’ she said, gushing just a little too much, ‘Vicky and I will work together very well, I’m sure’
Victoria mumbled a general agreement sort of noise. Anne smiled politely. Then, in a sudden change of tone, she addressed Victoria directly. Her question was clearly pre-prepared. 
‘You lived in Amansk for quite a while, Vicky, didn’t you?’
‘Yes – for seven years’
‘And you must have got to know the local worthies fairly well, I suppose?’
‘I’d say so, ma’am’
Anne glanced at Elizabeth and then back to Victoria. Victoria thought she knew what was coming next – a demonstration of Lady Anne’s covert power.
‘You won’t have heard,’ Anne continued, ‘but Elizabeth has a new apprentice’
‘Oh really...’ said Victoria, ‘umm – who is that?’
Elizabeth sighed softly – these performances would be booed off any stage.  Now it was her turn to perform.
‘Miss Molly Smith’ she said, wearily.
Victoria narrowed her eyes, as if to say ‘I’m sorry!’ to her sister.
‘Yes, I know her’ Victoria said, woodenly, ‘she’s the daughter of a very wealthy wool merchant’
Anne beamed.
‘Well, that’s a good thing. The poor young lady will have someone else that she knows...’
Elizabeth gave in – best to go with the flow. It was always this way – it was almost impossible to keep a secret from Anne.
‘Yes, quite true. I’m sure Molly will be delighted to see an old... acquaintance’
‘I’m sure’ agreed Victoria, a dull echo. Anne’s expression changed to grave consideration.
‘As for me’ she announced, ‘I intend to take a special interest in Miss Smith; I have heard some very good things about her’
Elizabeth waited to see if there was any more of this. It was a defeat for John, but it probably didn’t matter that much to her- it was his mess.  
There were some more chit-chat between the long sundered siblings and an agreement to meet the next day in Elizabeth’s house. Victoria was dismissed. Elizabeth would have been happy to go too, but she needed to clear a couple of things up. She picked up her cloak as if to leave.
‘I have enjoyed this chat’ said Anne, ‘very useful’
Elizabeth made no attempt to conceal her exasperation.
‘It could have been a lot shorter if you’d been honest with me in the first place’
‘About what?’ Anne asked, sharply, her face temporarily sour, ‘you surely know by now that nothing happens in this city without me finding out about it. But it’s one thing to know something and another to feel the need to do anything about it. I plan to treat Princess Lily exactly as suggested by her apparent biographical details...’
Elizabeth frowned.
‘Is this a problem?’
Anne shook her head.
‘Possibly it’s a foolish plan, but it’s not a problem. Just keep a lid on it’
Elizabeth hurriedly put her jacket on.
‘Of course’
Anne smiled and walked over to her. She squeezed Elizabeth’s hand momentarily. 
‘Shall we meet again this time next week?’ she asked, almost as if she was worried that she had gone too far.
‘Of course’ responded Elizabeth, ‘I look forward to these get-togethers...’
‘Yes, indeed’ agreed Anne warmly, ‘they are an essential part of my calendar’
The witch hoped that this meant ‘I need you as much as you need me’ but with Anne it was hard to say. 
She allowed Anne to peck her on the cheek goodbye and then she was free.  Her first instinct as she walked down the long corridor to the complex entrance was to tell John that Lily’s cover was blown, but then she decided against it – she wished no harm on Lily, of course, but a bit of embarrassment for John wouldn’t do any harm would it? She’d maybe wait a bit before telling him.

No comments:

Post a Comment